I love that we are trying our damnedest to take the stigma out of ALL Mental Illness. Having a World Bipolar Day on Van Gogh’s Birthday-SUPER AHMAYZING! Without further-ado, I give you my answers with awesome and inspiring quotes. ❤
1. What does bipolar disorder mean to you?
The ability to see life through High Definition glasses and try to explain the beauty and amazingness of it all to ANYONE that will listen!
2. What was your life like before you were diagnosed with bipolar disorder?
Crazy and utter chaos. I didn’t understand my mood swings, my highs and lows. I thought it was all just a part of life, of growing up.
3. How old were you when you were diagnosed?
Lemme think…my daughter is now 8, so 9 years ago and I’m 35…26!
4. How do you manage your symptoms?
Meds, therapy, being aware of triggers and avoiding them like the plagues, and changing my environment.
5. What is life like for you now?
Still chaotic, but more of an organized chaos.
6. Has having bipolar disorder affected your friendships, personal life, or professional life?
Yes, but I don’t let it affect me. I see it as their loss, not mine.
7. How do you think society treats people with a mental illness, especially bipolar disorder?
The media has portrayed such a negative “ideal” of what Bipolar is, that when I talk/educate someone one of the first things I tell them is “Don’t believe what you see or hear or read. That’s not how we are-not how I am.” I am a person, not my diagnosis. It’s just a label-one that I am allowed to use, not them. I can say I’m crazy, not you, because you don’t know me.
8. Have you ever felt discriminated against or looked poorly on because of bipolar disorder?
I have, and I call people out on that. See #7 above.
9. Do you have any words of advice for people in the world suffering with bipolar disorder, or other mental illness?
Live. FUCKING LIVE! There are SOOOO MANY of us that need to band together and not suffer alone, in silence though our highs and lows. Do not let what society, the media, Hollywood, the fucking “news” dictate how YOU feel, how YOU life your fucking life. Don’t let ANYONE tell you how to be Y O U! You are unique and special and you’re a God Damned GIFT for this life, for this WORLD that you were blessed to see things differently. YOU are here to help teach the world to be more accepting and less ignorant. YOU are YOU. Don’t let ANYONE steal your beautiful thunder.